Frequently Asked questions


Question: Why can't I read some of the documents on the website?
Answer: Many documents on the Website are either in the pdf or odt format. Acrobat Reader (6.0 or higher) and Open Office (2.0 or higher) are required to open these documents. These software can be installed without any cost and are freely available on the Internet at their website. Sun Microsystem has released ODF plug-in for Microsoft Office. The plug-in gives users of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint the ability to read, edit and save to the ISO-standard Open Document Format(ODF). For details, please see the article 'Open Document Format'.
Question: Why are documents published on the Website in the odt format?
Answer: The reason for keeping documents in the odt format are as follows:

1. Allahabad High Court has taken a policy decision to work in Open Source Software and use open standards;

2. The odt format is based on Open Document Format (ODF);

3. ODF is

  • Based on open standards;

  • Recommended by Organisation for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS); and

  • Approved by International Standardisation Organisation (ISO).

Question: Why are Linux, Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org softwares selected for use by the High Court?
Answer: We have chosen Linux, Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org softwares as they are Open Source softwares. Our Website is also best viewed in Firefox.
Apart from the above, Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org office suite are independent of Operating Systems and work on different operating system including Windows and Linux.
Question: Is there any difference in working in Linux and Windows?
Answer: There are technical as well as legal differences between the two. However, for the user there is no difference: at present both of them have graphical user interface.
Question: Will I be able to open and correct the documents created in Linux on a computer having Windows?
Answer: Yes. Documents created in either of the Operating Systems may be opened, corrected, and saved in the other Operating System.
Question: What is RSS feed and how can I configure in my computer?
Answer: Please see the article 'IT: The road to speedier Justice' in the web diary dated 20.11.2004.
Question: I can’t see the Hindi Website of the Court. What is the problem?
Answer: Hindi (Devnagri) is standardised in Unicode. Allahabad High Court has used Unicode fonts. Kindly set view or character encoding in your web browser to Unicode UTF-8.
Question: Can I contact the Court by sending email in Hindi?
Answer: Yes, you may send email in Hindi. But, please ensure that it is written in Hindi Unicode font.
Question: I am an advocate practising in the High Court but my name is not on the website?
Answer: The names of only those practising advocates have been published on the Web-Site, whose enrollment numbers are available in the database of the High Court. In case your name is not there, then please submit the details alongwith the enrolment number and endorsement of the Secretary of the Bar Advocate Association.
Question: I am counsel for the corporation/bank but my name is not shown in the Web-Site?
Answer: The Advocates who have been appointed as standing counsel for the Corporations, Banks, Universities etc. are required to provide such information to the computer centre at Allahabad and Lucknow respectively along with the letter of appointment and their enrolment number for publishing the same on the Web-Site. Kindly do the needful so that the details may be published on the website.
Question: What are the timings for filing fresh cases?
Answer: Fresh cases can be filed at the centralised filing counter between 10.00 o'clock to 15.00 o'clock on all working days of the High Court. If the last date of limitation is expiring on any working day then fresh cases can also be filed in the office of the Registrar General beyond 15.00 o'clock. In case, last date of limitation is expiring on a day when Court is closed, then it may be filed on the date when the Court re-opens (please refer the Limitation Act, 1963).
Question: What are the timings for filing Misc. Applications?
Answer: Misc. Applications may be filed at the centralised filing counter between 10.00 o'clock to 12.00 o'clock on all working days of the Court.
Question: What are the timings for reporting of fresh cases at the stamp reporter section?
Answer: Fresh cases are accepted for reporting at the stamp reporter section from 10.00 o' clock to 12.30 o'clock.
Question: The Stamp Reporter had reported a number of defects in my petition. Most of the defects have been removed, yet the fresh filing counter is not accepting it?
Answer: Fresh filing counter is not authorised to accept fresh cases unless all defects are removed. Kindly remove the defects and get the endorsement of the Stamp Reporter, or the Officer Incharge of Stamp Reporter Section that all defects have been removed.
In case there is dispute whether the defects have been removed or not then obtain an endorsement from the stamp reporter or the Joint Registrar (Listing) for placing the matter before the taxing officer or the Court for decision on the dispute.
Question: How do I find out about the status of my case?
Answer: Tentative status of a case may be obtained from the computerised information counter. However, authentic information can only be gathered by moving application under Chapter VIII Rule 30 of Rules of the Court. The tentative information will soon be available on the Website also.
Question: How do I find out whether my case is listed in the Cause List?
Answer: This can be ascertained from the hard copy of the cause list or the cause list published on the Web-Site.
Question: I got information from the computerised information centre that my case is likely to be listed on a particular date, but it is not listed on that date. What is the reason for the same?
Answer: The future listing dates are only tentative. The date is confirmed only when cause list for that date is finally printed or published on the Web-Site.
Question: How do I find out whether certified copy applied for in my case is ready or not?
Answer: Certified copies are prepared and issued by the Copying Section. You should also ascertain whether folio filed by you is defective or not. In case of any problem, the concerned Dy. Registrar/ Joint Registrar may be contacted. In future, such information will also be published on the Website also.
Uncertified copy of the judgments may be printed directly from the Website or obtained from the computerised information centre after paying the necessary charges.
Back to Home